Hinweis: Einige der folgenden Informationen sind nur in Englisch verfügbar.
Hans-Dieter Daniel holds a dual professorship at ETH Zurich and at the University of Zurich. Since 2001, he has been Director of the Evaluation Office of the University of Zurich and since 2002, Professor for Social Psychology and Research on Higher Education at ETH Zurich. Dr. Daniel is a psychologist by training, and a graduate of the University of Konstanz (Germany). He was professor for social science research methods at the Department of Social Sciences of the University of Kassel and director of the International Center for Higher Education Research Kassel (formerly: Center for Research on Higher Education and Work). He is a member of the International Council of Freie Universität Berlin, and a member of the International Advisory Board of the University of Helsinki. He was chairman of the Scientific Evaluation Board of the University of Vienna from 2005 to 2011. Since 2009, he has been a member of the International Advisory Board for the German Rectors' Conference (HRK) “Audit – Internationalisation of Higher Education Institutions”. In 2008, he was a member of the panel for the evaluation of the support actions of the European Research Council (ERC). Since 2009, Dr. Daniel has been chairman of the Steering Committee of the Center for Scientific Research Management, Speyer (Germany). Since 2011, he has been a member of the Evaluation Committee of the German Council of Science and Humanities (Wissenschaftsrat).
Dr. Daniel’s scholarly interests include
- Quantitative studies of science with a focus on peer review research (research on reviewing of research grant proposals, journal manuscripts, and fellowship applications) and evaluative bibliometrics
- Research on higher education with an emphasis on students’ evaluation of teaching and study programmes, alumni surveys, and international university rankings
He is a highly cited researcher (cf. www.highlycited.com, 2014) and co-author of several highly cited journal articles (last ten years) in Essential Science Indicators from Thomson Reuters. According to Kostoff (2004, p. 283) his book “Guardians of Science – Fairness and Reliability of Peer Review” is one of the ten “most cited (references) by recent peer review articles retrieved from the Science Citation Index”.
- Einflussfaktoren auf die Bewilligungswahrscheinlichkeiten im Entscheidungsverfahren des österreichischen Wissenschaftsfonds (FWF)
- Anwendung von Bottom-Up-Kriterien zur Beurteilung von geisteswissenschaftlichen Förderungsanträgen von Nachwuchsforschenden
- Metaanalysen zur Wissenschaftsforschung
- Wirkungsmessung öffentlich finanzierter Forschungsförderprogramme am Beispiel der Umwelt- und Nachhaltigkeitsforschung
- Metaanalysen zur Güte von studentischen Lehrveranstaltungsbeurteilungen
- Rankings von Hochschulen
- Anwendung statistischer Verfahren in der Bibliometrie